I’m often told I should receive being mistaken for a teenager as a compliment. Well, I don’t. Wearing two under braids doesn’t help my case much. Being in the military, you are to abide by regulations: one of many being your appearance. These braids are a protective style, neat, and within regulations! It is my go to style while in uniform. If you’re a visual learner, there’s a tutorial on how I do them. A few things you want to keep in mind when applying these braids:
1. Ensure you hair is brushed out. There’s nothing pretty about braiding in tangled up hair. Take a good brush, a Denman, if you own one; start at the ends and make your way up to the roots to ensure you can maneuver through your hair as you begin to braid.
2. Use a rat-tail comb to make the part. Rat-tail combs have that sharp point on the ends, which give your part a crispy finish. It should not be used to comb through thick hair! Its sole purpose is to give your head a clean part.
3. Do not use a water-based product prior to braiding. If you have highly shrinkable, 4C hair like mine, then it shrivels at the sight of water! When executing these braids, you need all the length you can get. Oil is fine, but no water-based products before braiding!
4. Avoid pulling tight on your hair. As you start to braid, grabbing the next strand of hair, you may unconsciously begin to pull tight on your hair. This causes the skin to overlap around the hairline and gives the neat braid a bad finish. Periodically check to ensure you are not pulling too tight.
5. Apply the edge control first. If you use any sort of edge tamer, apply it prior to braiding. That is not something you want to brush in after you’ve spent time braiding, and risk messing up.
Remember that practice makes perfect. If your braids don’t turn out like mine on your first try, repeat. Then keep trying until you get it right! Do not get discouraged. Applying all these steps will affect the way your braid comes out. Good luck!
Welcome! And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to His purpose. [Romans 8:28] Join me as I share a compilation of all things beautiful in my life & how I live a healthy lifestyle through happiness from within!